Woke Babies invites publishers to submit books for the Woke Babies Book Awards 2022, in partnership with BookTrust, National Literacy Trust, World Book Day and Milk Honey Bees, sponsored by DK.
Publishers have until the 11th February 2022 to submit their books.
We have always aimed to support black authors and illustrators, putting their books in Woke Babies subscription boxes whenever possible. The Woke Babies Book Awards will honour Black creatives and their incredible work. We are looking for books with positive and uplifting themes, which must have either a Black author or illustrator at its helm.
Copies must be sent to:
Woke Babies, Unit 6, The Link Business Centre, 49 Effra Road, London, SW2 1BZ
We will require 1 copy for each book submitted for the longlist. If your chosen book has been successfully shortlisted, a further 11 copies will be required to send for judges to review.
Books will be shortlisted on 10th February, with the winners announced on 5th May 2022.
Our awards will consist of four categories:
- Author of the Year
- Illustrator of the Year
- Picture Book of the Year
- Special Recognition Award – this award aims to spotlight a self-published author who has submitted their book to Woke Babies, this category isn’t eligible for submissions by publishing houses.
To be eligible for Picture Book of the Year, submissions must have the following:
- The book must be suitable for ages between 3-6
- The book must be fiction
- The book must feature a Black protagonist
- Books must have a Black author or illustrator
- It cannot be a book with a historical or social theme, (e.g. no books about slavery or racism)
- The book must have been first published in the UK from 1st January 2021 to 31st December 2021.
Author of the Year and Illustrator of the Year nominees must be a black children’s author or illustrator, they do not need to have a book published in 2021 nor do the books need to have any particular theme.